For the love of JuliElmo, I decided to make a movie review on their first movie team-up, Just One Summer. I am also posting again in this blog after months of being MIA… and a post that’s non-fashion/beauty/photography or other randomness related. So, hello-hi once again! ;)
JUST ONE SUMMER (A Season That Can Change Your Life Forever)
Here are my thoughts on the movie (bias aside, seriously):
- The storyline basically is something that’s simple and predictable. Rich boy-poor girl lovestory, both have their own family problems, then they get comfort from each other… and the rest is history. But even so, you still get that different feeling on how the story may unfold especially the “in-between” scenes in the story. You still get that “curiosity” feeling on what may happen next.
- I love the cinematography! I love the shots especially in the farm. Really breathtaking! :))
- There were some transitions in the scenes that I didn’t like… parang rushed. I thought there were some scenes I wished could have been longer to give more emphasis or explanation. Actually, I thought how the movie unfolded was just too fast.
- Great music used in some scenes (Girl Be Mine, Bakit Ba Ganyan, Moving Closer).. added more kilig! ;)
- Regarding the two lead stars, Julie Anne and Elmo were surprisingly good.. such revelations! Both suited their roles. Julie Anne (who plays as Beto/Bertina) was a natural… swear! Yung kapag kinikilig siya.. kinikilig ka rin ng malala! Nakakadala talaga! Tapos if crying scenes, ay nako! Parang gripo lang ang kanyang mga mata! Galing! Elmo (who plays as Nyel/Daniel) on the other hand was very good in his scenes with his Papa Dan (Joel Torre). Their scenes were really INTENSE and you can really feel it. I really really love the scenes when Nyel shouted at his father tapos akmang susuntukin na ni Dan si Nyel, and yung sinuntok ni Nyel yung papa niya… AWESOME!!!
- The veteran actors and actresses were awesome as well! However I wished the supporting ones were also given enough scenes or appearances… Like uhmmm, ano nga pala name ni Lexi Fernandez dun sa movie? Haha! Tapos Sef Cadayona… sana he was given more selosan scenes (with dialogues!) :D
- I LOVE NYEL’S LINES TOWARDS BETO! Oh so romantic!!! Actually, what I really love in the movie are those lines (but not just of Nyel but of the other characters as well). Here are some examples:
"Pagkatapos nitong 1 day na kunwari tayo, susunod gagawin nating 2 days, tapos gagawin nating 3 days, tapos 1 week, 1 month, 1 year… hanggang sa masanay ka. Hanggang sa maging tayo na talaga…"
"Sana ako na lang ang Isko mo…"
"Finding you is the only positive thing that happened to me this summer"
"Beto, itong nararamdaman ko para sa’yo… sigurado akong pang matagalan ‘to"
Nyel: “Wala ba akong kiss?” Beto: “Nyel!” Nyel: “Ok, I’ll respect you but please allow me to do this..”
"Yet here I am leaving the girl that only mattered to me."
And some FTW lines as well:
"Hindi naman po sinasadya yung yakap-yakap gulong-gulong na yun eh…" -Beto to Berting (Beto’s father)
"…eh di maghanap ka ng kalabaw na may kwarentang dede!" -Beto to Nyel
"Nyeeeeel!" -Irene (Nyel’s mother)
"Hindi ko naman po alam na nagwaguardyahan yun…" -Beto to Berting (Beto’s father)
"Yung farm na farm o yung farm na… farm?" -Beto
"Di mo alam yung target?!" -Beto to Nyel
"YOU DON’T SAY.." -Nyel
- Oh diba, pamatay yung mga lines! Hehe! And speaking of.. the sweet, kulitan and even the “iringan” scenes between Nyel and Beto were of course, super nakakakilig! No doubt, both have that UNDENIABLE CHEMISTRY talaga. For me whose been watching these two in their prods, ako’y medyo “sanay” na sa kilig feeling nila. But probably for first timers, mas kikiligin sila ng malala! Lakas lang maka-teenagers ng dalawa! ;)
- But aside from the kilig scenes, the movie also focuses on real-life lessons regarding family and love. I love the “advices” of Nyel and Beto’s parents.. very applicable in real life… like really listening to your parents, focusing first on your studies and dreams, no need to rush things especially on love and etc.
- And finally… the famous “Jaguar window kiss”. Ok, this scene is the most unique among all the other scenes in the movie. Very heartbreaking but the sweetest at the same time. Mapapa- “awww” ka talaga sa scene na ‘yun. Love it!
So if I’ll rate the movie, I’ll give it an 8 out 10 rating. It’s a feel-good, simple movie. Hindi naman siya yung tipong mala-Avengers o Dark Knight Rises and definitely not a flop. If you’re a fan of chick/teen flicks or if you want to watch something that’s a balance of heavy and light (and even funny) movie scenes, then go watch Just One Summer! Kung gusto mong kiligin ng malala… then I’d definitely recommend this. Kilalanin mo na sila ISKO at ISKA! ;))